Saturday, December 4, 2010

Top-20 Countdown - No.17

Stratos: No.17 - David Byrne & Fatboy Slim - Here Lies Love


If somebody told me a year ago that I  would e posting a photo of Imelda Marcos in one of my blogs I would tell them they're crazy. But here it is. She is the concept of this album (actually her relationship with one of her maids) by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim, two very creative music artists. I love this because they picked incredible singers to sing their stuff, some of them real favourites: Sharon Jones, Camille, Róisín Murphy, Candie Payne, St. Vincent, Shara Worden, Florence Welch, Allison Moorer, Cyndi Lauper, Tori Amos, Martha Wainwright,Natalie Merchant, Sia Furler, Santigold, Charmaine Clamor, Nicole Atkins, and Kate Pierson among many others, alternately playing the roles of Imelda Marcos and Estrella Cuempas. 

I love most of the songs, many of them make the singers "play" against type with great results. For my biased ears, Róisín and Tori come as the winners from all of them here, Tori having to sing a duet with Cyndi Lauper apart from her solo. I have played many of them in my radio show and will keep on listening to this for years to come. 





Giannis: No.17 - Spoon - Transference




No comments:

Post a Comment